The Vice President Hamilton Mourao commented on Friday the possibility of resuming the emergency aid because of the Covid-19 pandemic and said the president Jair Bolsonaro “Will take dick” whether or not to grant the benefit.
Mourão also said that the government “cannot be a slave to the market”, when asked about the negative sign that would represent a possible new war budget or another record deficit.
He argued that there are about 40 million Brazilians in “a difficult situation” and that the pandemic will still continue until vaccination is more consistent.
On Thursday, Bolsonaro declared that the emergency aid can be repaid starting in March, for “three or four” months, with no amount defined so far. The president affirmed, on the other hand, that the benefit cannot be eternal, citing retirement and the Continuous Payment Benefit (BPC). And he complained about the market reaction:
– Market people, whatever you say you get irritated at the end of the line, right? Dollar goes up, the stock market falls. Guys, if Brazil doesn’t have a course, everyone will lose, you too. So, let’s stop being annoyed because it won’t get anywhere – he declared, broadcast on his social networks.
Also on Thursday, the Minister of Economy, Paulo Guedes, said he is ready to present a new round of payment of the aid, but he demanded from Congress, on the other hand, the approval of a Proposed Amendment to the Constitution that establishes a new War Budget to make the benefit feasible.
GLOBO anticipated that it would be announced, after the carnival, the expansion of emergency aid for another three months, outside the spending ceiling.
This Friday morning, Mourão said that the matter is being discussed by the president together with the economic team and the Congress, which are “looking for a solution”.
– Generally speaking, either you make an extraordinary credit, then that would be the war budget, or cut within our budget to meet the needs. There is no other line of action outside of that – commented the vice president.
Asked if another war budget and another record deficit would be a good sign for the market, Mourão stated:
– My people, we can’t be a slave to the market, right? So, you have to understand the following: we have there, let’s put about 40 million Brazilians in a difficult situation. We are still with the pandemic, we believe that for another three, four months we will have a vaccine production capable of starting a consistent immunization process.
He concluded with a comment on Bolsonaro’s “difficult situation”:
– So the president is forced to decide for some way to help these people. Let’s remember, if he says he will not help, he will take a stick, if he says he will help, he will take a stick too. So, it is a difficult situation and I think he will seek the best solution.
Mourão also commented on the president’s plan to send a bill to Congress to address the ICMS on fuels and said that the issue has to be decided in the legislature.
– It will have to be decided within Congress. It is law, it will be decided inside, it affects the interest of the States. The president is looking for a solution to the price of fuel, which everyone who fills the car tank knows is a little salty – he said.
According to the vice president’s diagnosis, the current scenario is the result of two problems: the recovery of international prices and the devaluation of the real against the dollar. Asked if he sees any chance of a change in Petrobras’ pricing policy, Mourão denied it and said that Bolsonaro “has already made it very clear that he will not interfere and cannot interfere”.
– We had this in the past, and Petrobras suffered a huge loss, which it cannot afford, it is a company that has shares on the stock exchange.