In the last century, western movies dominated Hollywood. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne (1907-1979) and Jack Elam (1920-2003) revolutionized the genre and impacted thousands of lives. Over time, these productions lost space. But it’s not the end of the wild west feature.
From the crossbow comedy to Gunmen – Revenge Without Pardon (2017), western movies returned to appear in theaters and on streaming platforms. With the dominance of superhero productions, feature films that refer to the past are well received by the public.
Escaping the classics of the western, the TV news separated seven recent movies about the wild west on Netflix and Prime Video:
- One Million Ways to Handle a Pistol (2014): To get the attention of the mysterious outsider Anna (Charlize Theron), the cowardly Albert (Seth MacFarlane) tries to show some courage. All that changes when her love interest’s husband shows up, the famous Clinch (Liam Neeson).
- The Ridiculous 6 (2015): Starring Adam Sandler, this comedy tells the story of six orphaned half brothers who grew up in the care of an Indian tribe. As adults, they need to look for bravery within themselves to face new enemies.
- Gunmen – Revenge Without Pardon (2017): After the Civil War (1861-1865) in the United States, the protagonist returns to his home and discovers that his family has been murdered. In search of the person responsible for the slaughter, he has only one objective: to avenge the death of his family.
- The Killer (2017): In the plot, set in 1940, in the interior of Pernambuco, the protagonist decides to follow in his father’s footsteps: to be a hunter, a killer, involved in the trade in precious stones.
- Lefty Brown’s Revenge (2017): Lefty Brown (Bill Pullman) is partnered with western legend Eddie Johnson (Peter Fonda). But when his friend is killed by a thief, the protagonist must face the ugly reality of border justice.
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018): Directed by the Coen brothers, the western film focuses on the American frontier. With six short stories, the production ranges from the deepest reflection to the most complete nonsense.
- Under the Western Sun (2018): Starring Robert Pattinson, the film tells the story of a wealthy pioneer who crosses the US border to marry the woman he loves. But the meeting with the suitor does not go as expected.