The tournament will be held jointly by Colombia and Argentina between 11 June and 11 July this year; Brazilian team is current champion
A South American Football Confederation (Conmebol) announced on Tuesday that the teams of the Qatar and yes Australia, invited from the organization, will no longer be able to participate in the America Cup, which will be held jointly by Colombia and Argentina on June 11 and July 11 this year. The alleged reason was a problem with the calendar of the two countries, which are part of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). Gonzalo Belloso, director of development for Conmebol, revealed that the Asian Confederation has scheduled commitments from both teams for the same Copa America dates. “They will no longer be able to come (to South America),” said the leader.
Last week, Fifa announced that 16 matches in the 2022 World Cup and 2023 Asia Cup qualifiers have been rescheduled from March to June this year because of the new coronavirus pandemic. Only four will be held next month. According to Conmebol, there will be no substitution in the Copa America. Australia was part of Group A, based in Argentina, together with hosts, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia. Qatar is in B, Colombia, with the local team, Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela and Peru.
With the departure of the invited countries, the South American teams will have a free spin in the qualifying phase. The top four in each group advance to the quarterfinals and the competition continues in the knockout stage until the decision on July 11th. Belloso also said that Conmebol works so that stadiums can receive fans in up to 30% of its capacity. “The idea is that if I can play with a percentage of the public in the stadiums”, informed the leader, who stressed that the last word on the subject will be given by the health authorities of the host countries.
* With information from Estadão Content