Englishman Lewis Hamilton, seven times world champion, emphasized that the continent is where he would like the sport to go soon
A Formula 1 is looking at a new / old continent for his World Championship races. This Thursday, the 25th, the global director of promotion of racing in the category, Chloe Targett-Adams, who deals with event organizers, said adding a race to the Africa, now at the top of the wish list for new events. The English Lewis Hamilton, seven times world champion, emphasized that the continent is where he would like the sport to go soon. The former Formula 1 boss, Bernie Ecclestone, tried for many years to find a way to return to South Africa, which was last in the World Championship at the opening of the 1993 championship, at the Kyalami race track. And that is the desire under the management of Liberty Media.
Although South Africa remains the most likely location, there has also been interest from other countries, especially Morocco, which hosted a race in 1958. “I totally agree with Lewis, Africa is a continent that we don’t run on and that is just wrong, ”said Targett-Adams at an online seminar. “It is a place that we really want, it is the priority. A few years ago, we talked about possible options. And we hope that, in the end, we will be able to race there soon or in the medium term ”. Another possibility that has been gaining momentum in recent days is that of running a second race in the United States. Owner of the Indianapolis race track, Roger Penske revealed his intention to be prepared to receive a Formula 1 race, and the category’s CEO, Italian Stefano Domenicali, confirmed that intention. “Alongside Africa, the United States remains a clear strategic priority. We have a great race in Austin (Texas) now, where we look forward to working with our promoter for a few more years. But we are looking at a second race opportunity, a destination, and looking to build this race proposal from the United States. Also in Asia, we do not hide the fact that this is also a key priority ”, ratified Targett-Adams.
The director insisted that Formula 1 did not give up on the Vietnam GP The inaugural race in Hanoi was postponed last year after the new coronavirus pandemic and was left out of the 2021 calendar after a local political scandal. “Vietnam is an incredibly exciting racing venue for Formula 1. Extremely young demographic division in the country, vibrant commercial sector, we are very, very excited to race there. And 2020 was supposed to be the first race, with an incredible circuit built around it. from Hanoi. And then, in a totally understandable way, nobody wants to launch a first race in the middle of a pandemic. We are working on some localized issues with some changes in the government underway as well, so we decided and agreed with our prosecutor, Vingroup, that 2021 was simply not the right time for this, ”commented Targett-Adams.
* With information from Estadão Content