Central Rúben Dias, midfielder Bruno Fernandes and striker Cristiano Ronaldo are the three Portuguese who make up the list of 30 candidates to win the Golden Ball of France Football, for best footballer of 2021.
Reuben Dias, do Manchester City, e Bruno Fernandes, Manchester United, are debutants among the 30 finalists, while Cristiano Ronaldo has already won the award five times, in 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017.
In the last edition, in 2019 – since in 2020 the French magazine decided not to award its annual prizes due to the covid-19 pandemic -, there were also three Portuguese finalists, with Ronaldo being third, Bernardo silva ninth and John Felix 28.º.
Two 30 finalists, all play in the top five European championships (England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France), with five Italian European champions and only two Argentine winners of the Copa America.
the european champion Chelsea has five elected, among which Romelu Lukaku, who played in 2020/21 for Inter Milan, and the runner-up Manchester City also has five.
Lionel Messi, best scorer in the Spanish League and winner of the Copa del Rey in 2020/21, by FC Barcelona, and best player, scorer and king of the assists of the Copa América, which, finally, won by Argentina, is appointed as the favorite.
In case of another triumph, revalidating the victory in the last edition, Messi would have seven trophies – as he has already won in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2019 -, two more than Cristiano Ronaldo, the second in the ranking of victories .
The 2021 Golden Ball will be delivered on November 29th.
List of 30 nominees:
- Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City)
- N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea)
- Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund)
- Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus)
- Mason Mount (Chelsea)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham)
- Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan / Paris-SG)
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
- Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)
- Nicolò Barella (Inter de Milão)
- Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona/Paris Saint-Germain)
- Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
- Pedri (FC Barcelona)
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
- Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
- Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Ruben Dias (Manchester City)
- Lautaro Martínez (Inter Milan)
- Simon Kjaer (AC Milan)
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
- Jorginho, Ita (Chelsea)
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
- Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea)
- Romelu Lukaku (Inter de Milão/Chelsea)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus/Manchester United)
- Gerard Moreno (Villarreal)
- Phil Foden (Manchester City)
- Kylian Mbappé (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Luis Suárez (Atlético de Madrid)