President affirmed that he defends the harmony and autonomy of the Powers, but ‘within the four lines of the Constitution’; proposal is for the government to negotiate a lower amount with Congress
The President of the Republic, Jair Bolsonaro, went back to talking about the increase in Electoral Fund, also known as ‘Fundão’, on Tuesday, 20th. In a publication on social networks, the Chief Executive stated that he will veto the destination of BRL 5.7 billion for the 2022 election campaigns. The proposal is included in the Budget Guidelines Law (LDO), approved by the National Congress last week. No Twitter, Bolsonaro afirmou que defende a autonomia dos Poderes, mas dentro das “quatro linhas da Constituição”. “We defend, above all, the harmony between the Powers, as well as their autonomy. It is based on this principle that we have played, from the beginning, within the four lines of the Federal Constitution. That said, out of respect for the Brazilian people, I will veto the increase in the electoral fund”, he wrote in the publication.
Also on Tuesday, the minister of the General Secretariat of the Republic, Onyx Lorenzoni, had already anticipated the Young pan that the trend was for a presidential veto to increase. “I, personally, and the president too, have always taken a position against the electoral background. We defend that it should be a private fund with very strict supervision”, he said. According to the member of government, the proposal is to discuss a lower value for the Electoral Fund. Behind the scenes in Brasília, it is suggested that an amount between R$ 3 billion and R$ 4 billion will be closed.
*With information from reporter Fernando Martins