Matos Fernandes says that speeding will not “happen again”

6

António Cotrim / Lusa

The Minister of Environment and Climate Action, João Pedro Matos Fernandes

Minister João Pedro Matos Fernandes said this Monday that he had already warned his driver about speeding and that such a situation “will never happen again”.

The minister of Environment and Climate Action was responding to journalists after a ceremony in Pampilhosa da Serra, in the district of Coimbra, about being caught by TVI, on July 5, traveling at almost 160 kilometers per hour (km/h) on a road at 200 km/h on the highway.

I wasn’t the one driving and I didn’t realize what was happening. AND this does not relieve me of responsibility nothing,” said the minister, in statements to CMTV.

João Pedro Matos Fernandes also guaranteed that he has already spoken with his driver and that such a situation “will never happen again”.

In his first reaction on the matter, the government official had told TVI he did not have “any memory of the facts reported having happened”. Still, according to the Observer, he added that, if they had happened, “Should not”.

“I recognize that, sometimes, and with the emergency signage turned on, I know that speed limits are exceeded, just for work reasons and not to be late for professional appointments (…). I promise to be more attentive in future situations”, he said at the time.

On July 5th, a car carrying the Minister of Environment and Climate Action was caught traveling at 200 km/h on Highway 2 (A2).

The images, revealed by TVI, show the BMW 5 Series from 2021, driven by the driver of the minister’s office, circulating at around 160 km/h on the national road that gives access to the A2, exiting Beja, whose maximum limit is of 90 km/h.

At issue is a serious administrative offense, which may involve the loss of two points on the driving license and a fine of between 120 and 600 euros.