After being postponed for a year, the Tokyo Olympic Games they started last Tuesday (20th), but the official opening will be this Friday (23rd) at 8 am (Brasilia time). This will be the second time that Tokyo hosts an edition of the Olympics – the first was in 1964.
With 20 days of competition, there will be more than 300 sporting events, with the participation of approximately 12,750 athletes from 206 countries. The Games will have 46 modalities in dispute.
Due to the pandemic, the opening ceremony will be smaller and few athletes from each delegation will go to the Olympic Stadium. Brazil will be represented by a pair of flag bearers: judoka Ketleyn Quadros and volleyball player Bruninho.
No event at the Olympics will be attended by the public due to the sanitary protocols adopted to contain the covid-19 pandemic. So far the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reported that 91 accredited people have tested positive for the disease since 2 July. In the last update, 11 more cases were counted.
how to watch the games
To watch in Brazil, the only option on open TV is Globo, which has exclusive rights to broadcast the event. The station promises 12 hours a day dedicated to Olympic sports, from 10 pm one day until 11 am the next.
On closed TV, the options are SporTV, which has four channels dedicated to covering the games, and BandSports, which promises 24-hour coverage. It is also possible to follow it via streaming, on Globoplay.
Due to the time difference between Brazil and Japan, most competitions will take place at dawn/early Brazilian morning.
Brazil’s Agenda at the Olympics
Brazil will be represented by 301 athletes in 35 sports, its largest delegation in an edition of Games held abroad. Check out the ten athletes with the most medal chances.
- 20h30: Male Rowing – Playoffs
- 21h30: Archery – Ranking
- 1:00: Men’s Individual Archery
- 1:00: Archery Mixed Teams
- 8:00 am: Opening Ceremony
- 9:00 pm: Female Individual Fencing
- 9:00 pm: Men’s Handball — Brazil x Norway
- 22:00: Men’s Doubles Beach Volleyball — Alison and Álvaro Filho vs. Azaad and Capogrosso
- 23:00: Women’s Doubles Beach Volleyball — Agatha and Dudax Gallay and Perreyra
- 23:00: Women’s Judo up to 48kg — Gabriela Chibana x Harriet Bonface
- 23:05: Men’s Indoor Volleyball — Brazil vs Tunisia
- 23:42: Men’s Judo toand 60kg — Eric Takabatake X Soukphaxay Sithisane
- 01:00: Men’s Sport Shooting — 10m Air Pistol
- 2:15 am: Women’s Table Tennis — Jessica Yamada vs. Rachel Moret
- 2:30 am: Male Artistic Gymnastics
- 7:48 am: Swimming — Men’s 400m freestyle
- 8:00 am: Women’s Football — Brazil x Netherlands
- 8:55 am: Swimming — 100m male chest
- 9:15 am: Swimming — 4x 100m Female
- 7:00 pm: Men’s Surfing
- 9:00 pm: Men’s Skate
- 10:20 pm: Women’s Surfing
- 22:42: Men’s Taekwondo up to 68kg
- 23:00: Men’s Beach Volleyball — Evandro and Bruno Schmidt x Grimalt M and Grimalt E
- 23:00: Women’s Handball — Brazil x Russia
- 23:14: Men’s Judo under 66kg — Daniel Cargnin vs. Mohamed ABdelmawgroud
- 23:49: Female Judo up to 52 kg — Larissa Pimenta x Agata Perenc
- 01:47: Canoeing K1 Women
- 2:00 am: Men’s Table Tennis
- 02:00: Women’s Simple Table Tennis
- 02h35: Men’s Laser Sailing
- 03:05: Sail RS:X Female
- 5:30 am: Men’s Football — Brazil vs Ivory Coast
- 07h06: Boxing – Wanderson Oliveira x Wassem Salamana
- 7:22: Swimming — Men’s 200m freestyle
- 8:19 am: Swimming — 100m backstroke Male
- 8:20 am: Women’s Artistic Gymnastics
- 9:10 am: Swimming — 4x 100m freestyle Men
- 9:45 am: Women’s Volleyball — Brazil x South Korea
- 6:30 pm: Men’s Individual Triathlon (final)
- 00h05: Men’s Laser Sailing
- 00:05: Sail RS:X Female
- 00h40: Badminton Individual Feminino — Fabiana Silva x Marija Ulitina
- 02:00: Men’s Individual Badminton — Ygor Coelho x Georges Julien Paul
- 03h00: Ciclismo Mountain Bike — Cross-country Masculino
- 7:29 am: Swimming — 200m Male Butterfly
- 7:54 am: Women’s Featherweight Boxing
- 8:32 am: Swimming — 1500m female freestyle
- 9:45 am: Men’s Volleyball — Brazil x Argentina
- 6:30 pm: Individual Women’s Triathlon
- 10:00 pm: Men’s Table Tennis
- 23:00: Women’s Handball — Brazil x Hungary
- 23:35: Women’s Judo under 63kg — Ketleyn Quadros x Cergia David
- Stay on top of the top news from the Tokyo Olympics. Sign the EXAM.