The Australian Government said on Tuesday that Facebook agreed to lift the block to users in the country after reaching an agreement on legislation to compensate Australian media companies.
“The Government has been informed by Facebook that it intends to restore [o acesso] to Australian news pages in the coming days, ”Australian Finance Minister Josh Frydenberg and Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said in a joint statement.
The social network founded by Mark Zuckerberg also confirmed, in a statement, that it reached an agreement to change a proposal for legislation with the aim of forcing Facebook and Google to pay for the news content published.
The blockade, which started on February 18, was a reaction to the proposed law passed the day before by the Australian House of Representatives, which forces companies Facebook and Google to pay compensation to Australian newspapers and media for the journalistic content used by the platforms digital.
A public outrage in relation to the Facebook blockade, it was notorious, not least because access to information about the covid-19 pandemic, health services and emergency services was cut off, at least temporarily.
The titles of Australian newspapers called the case “Faceblock”, in an allusion to the blockade and described the network as “antisocial”.
The Australian executive’s proposal will have to be approved by the Senate, which is expected to discuss the changes this Tuesday.
In contrast to Facebook, Google reacted quickly to the Canberra ad by signing content licensing deals with major Australian media companies under the model News Showcase.
Facebook had previously argued that the Australian legislative proposal “confuses relations between the platform [digital] and publications that use the network ”.
In response, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison had said he was willing to “listen to them [Facebook] technical aspects ”, reaffirming, however, the determination on the legislation.