The American newspaper, Politico, published details of discussions that took place within the US administration, regarding the suspension of all or the share of US military aid provided to Cairo, estimated at $300 million, revealing at the same time the request made by Abbas Kamel, head of Egyptian intelligence, to the US administration.
The report said that these discussions stem from concerns about grave violations of human rights in Egypt, noting that a decision will be taken on suspending this share of US military aid within weeks.
The newspaper added that it had seen correspondence according to which US State Department officials raised the issue of the death sentences issued in Egypt against 12 members of the “Muslim Brotherhood” in private discussions with their Egyptian counterparts.
Members of Congress are discussing with the Biden team the matter
She noted that progressive members of Congress are urging Biden’s team to freeze funds given his electoral promise to make human rights a priority in his foreign policy.
According to the newspaper, the members considered that the priority is currently the suspension of death sentences against opponents.
Special request from Abbas Kamel
The newspaper also reported that Egyptian intelligence chief Abbas Kamel made an allegation that surprised US lawmakers already concerned about human rights in Egypt during his visit to Washington last month.
Abbas Kamel asked members of Congress to imprison him.
Why is Sisi afraid of Mohamed Sultan to chase him in the United States? pic.twitter.com/eDkDp0a7Zu
— Monitor Network (@RassdNewsN) July 13, 2021
Kamel insisted, while he was at the Capitol, that the United States promised in 2015 that if Egypt released the American activist, “Mohamed Sultan,” he would spend the rest of his life sentence in a prison in the United States, wondering why “Sultan” remains free and lives in Virginia.
In a report, the American website Politico revealed some of the details of the visit of the Egyptian intelligence chief, Abbas Kamel, to Washington last month, during which he complained in a meeting with American lawmakers about the United States’ lack of commitment to what he said was a written agreement with the Egyptian authorities in 2015.
News: https://t.co/CxrO9uQ7Kt pic.twitter.com/HvhXwmk7il
— Mada Masr Mada Masr (@MadaMasr) July 13, 2021
And it came to “Abbas Kamel,” who was described by the newspaper as a “spy expert,” that he handed congressional officials and other officials a document, a copy of which the newspaper obtained, and it appears that it is an agreement signed between Egyptian and American officials stipulating such an arrangement.
Major General Abbas Kamel, Director of Egyptian General Intelligence, told US lawmakers that the US-Egyptian agreement was for activist Mohamed Soltan (who was handed over by Cairo to Washington in 2015) to continue his prison term in the US instead of #Egypt Asking about the reasons for staying free – American newspaper Politco pic.twitter.com/tjnkvWXH4r
— ZaidBenjamin (@ZaidBenjamin5) July 12, 2021
Mohamed Sultan mocks the Sisi regime
Commenting on what was published by the newspaper, activist “Mohamed Sultan” expressed his surprise on Twitter that the Egyptian officials’ talk in Washington revolves around the pursuit of activists and opponents, rather than dealing with vital and existential issues for Egypt, such as the issue of the Renaissance Dam and others.
Sultan said: “By God, it is a mockery that is not befitting a country the size of Egypt. I don’t deserve the time they wasted with American officials talking about me instead of talking about the Renaissance Dam and the Egyptians’ water rights that are about to be lost.”
Sultan added: “I hope the officials will make their diplomatic moves more keen on our Prime Time Zone and will spare their efforts for the existential Nile file.”
God is a mockery that is not worthy of a country the size of Egypt. I don’t deserve the time they wasted with American officials talking about me instead of talking about the Renaissance Dam and the Egyptians’ water rights that are about to be lost.
I wish the officials that their diplomatic moves would be more keen on our Prime Time Zone and that they would spare their efforts for the existential Nile file. https://t.co/l4JVi6wTt3
– Mohamed Soltan | محمد سلطان (@soltan) July 13, 2021
The Egyptian security authorities accused the Egyptian-American citizen, “Mohamed Sultan” of crimes related to terrorism, including spreading “false news,” charges that human rights advocates described as fictitious, forcing him to give up his Egyptian citizenship so that he could get out of prison and travel to the United States.
Claims to withhold aid
The newspaper says that officials in the State Department’s office, which focuses on human rights, are calling for the aid to be withheld.
They noted that Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi clearly runs a very repressive regime that does not tolerate any dissent.
This position is opposed by the State Department’s office dealing with the Middle East, whose officials, as usual, wish to maintain a strong and stable relationship with Cairo.
But the newspaper, citing analysts and other Prime Time Zone familiar with the matter, said that what was somewhat unusual was that officials in the State Department’s Bureau of Political and Military Affairs indicated that they might side with the Human Rights Office this time.
During Al-Sisi’s rule, the Egyptian authorities executed 95 opponents, while 69 others await a similar fate, if Egypt does not stop the implementation of these sentences, which human rights organizations describe as political.
Follow our YouTube channel to see all the new
Click here and hit the subscribe button