Claude joseph, who has nominally led the Haiti What interim prime minister since the assassination of President Jovenel Moise, said in an interview with the Washington Post published on Monday that agreed to resign, handing power to a suitor supported by the international community.
The announcement appears to end a power struggle between Joseph and Ariel Henry, the 71-year-old neurosurgeon who was named prime minister by Moise two days before the assassination but who has yet to take an oath.
Moise was shot dead when assassins armed with assault rifles broke into his private home in Port-au-Prince on 7 July. The murder has stirred up chaos in the already turbulent nation, coming amid a wave of gang violence that has displaced thousands of people and undermined economic activity in the poorest country in the Americas.
Joseph told the Washington Post that he and Henry met in private last week, adding that he agreed to resign on Sunday “for the good of the nation.”
“Everyone who knows me knows I’m not interested in this battle, or any kind of takeover,” said Joseph.
“The president was a friend to me. I’m only interested in seeing justice for him,” added Joseph.