Incident near the occupation line


Their voices were also heard. They spoke Ossetian-Georgian. Police arrived at the scene soon after. They spoke and 4 people from the occupied village of Dzukaantkari returned. By 9pm, an EUMM arrived in the village, which meant the hotline was activated. A Radio Liberty source from Khurvaleti says the village cemetery borders the cemetery of a neighboring village, the occupied Dzukaantkari. Khurvaleti Cemetery is at the foot of the ridge along the village, while Dzukaantkari Cemetery is at the top of the ridge. A checkpoint of the occupation forces is located nearby. The people of Dzukaantkareli first went to the occupied part of the cemetery, set the table and drank wine, while 4 drunken people decided to visit the unoccupied cemetery of Khurvaleti in the evening and pay their respects to the relatives buried there.

Before the August 2008 war, Khurvaleti and Dzukaantkari had one cemetery. In fact, Dzukaantkari was considered to be one of the districts of Khurvaleti, and until the occupation forces divided the village and the cemetery with barbed wire, Georgians and Ossetians used to visit each other intensively and pay their respects to the dead. The creeping occupation will affect both the living and the dead. Relatives separated by barbed wire can no longer come to each other and can no longer go to the graves. According to a source in Radio Liberty, on their way to the ridge, the drunken Dzukaantkareli noticed the people of Khurvaleti and started inviting them: Come, have two glasses with us. This noise seemed like swearing to some in the village, and the police arrived on the spot. The incident was watched from afar by representatives of the anti-occupation movement, who disseminated information and photographs from the scene. They saw him enter the village and then head towards the occupation line of the EUMM. According to the leader of the anti-occupation movement Davit Katsarava, the Georgian authorities missed a second chance to detain people from the occupied territories and exchange them for Georgian citizens in Tskhinvali prison.

The incident was also observed by the head of the Khurvaleti old people’s home. The shelter is close to the ridge and all movements and incidents are easily noticeable. Luda Salia says they were frightened in the village when they noticed police mobilizing and moving towards the occupation line. He also noticed cars in the occupied territory, and there are checkpoints of the occupation forces. He said it was still unclear at the end what the purpose of the civilians coming out of Dzukaantkari was.

The Security Service of Georgia has denied the information spread by the leader of the anti-occupation movement Davit Katsarava that an incident took place in Khurvaleti, in the territory controlled by Georgia. According to SUS, the place of the incident was not the territory controlled by Georgia, but the occupied territory.

The villagers say one, Susi the other. According to Khurvaleti residents, civilians were in the unoccupied part of the village when police stopped them and drove them back. Susi claims that the incident took place in the occupied territory of Dzukaantkari, although the Ossetian nationals who had left the occupied village could not be detained by the Georgian police if they had arrived in Tbilisi. All sources confirm that they spoke Georgian-Ossetian and were not representatives of the occupation forces. Persons living in the occupied territories are citizens of Georgia and they have the same right to move freely as persons living in the non-occupied territories of Georgia. წ. Recognition of the border and these individuals as foreign nationals would have taken place, especially since there were no signs of crime on the ground. Police allegedly used a regulation against the spread of the coronavirus, which prohibits access to cemeteries from 2 to 4 May, and returned them.

This incident is radically different from the incident on March 7, when representatives of the occupation forces stormed the Khurvaleti area and tried to arrest a local resident. He was being chased by a foreign citizen by foreign armed men and was going to kidnap him. The police then disarmed the occupying forces, arrested them and soon released them. Civil activists have linked the first chance of Gakheladze’s release to this incident, when the Georgian authorities could have used the detained military to free Zaza.

The family of Zaza Gakheladze, who is in Tskhinvali prison, is constantly monitoring the incidents along the occupation line. Zaza’s wife, Irma Butkhuzi, told RFE / RL that the Georgian government had missed a chance on March 7 when it did not put the interests of its own citizens in the occupied Tskhinvali prison higher. Irma Butkhuzi emphasizes that she is not against the movement of ethnic Ossetians. According to him, the government should activate other mechanisms for the release of prisoners.

Gakheladze family is preparing for protest rallies. These days, family members will meet with leaders of opposition parties.

Zaza Gakheladze, 33, was illegally detained by the occupation regime on July 11 last year in Kaspi Municipality, near Skhvilo Prison. During the arrest e. წ. The guards wounded Gakheladze in the leg with a firearm and illegally detained him. On February 5, e. წ. The court sentenced Zaza Gakheladze to 12 years and 6 months in prison. For 297 days, the family has been demanding the release of Zaza Gakheladze in vain.