Iran has agreed to allow international inspectors to continue video surveillance of sensitive nuclear sites. The statement came after an agreement was reached on September 12 in Tehran between the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Gross, and the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Mohammad Islam.
Returning to Vienna, Grossi said the move would “give time for diplomacy” and that it was not a “final solution” to the problem. The move by Tehran is linked to talks between the West and Iran aimed at reviving the Iran nuclear deal.
This is Gross’ first visit to Iran since being ousted by radical President Ibrahim Rice in August. Negotiations between Iran and the world’s leading countries over the limitation of its nuclear program have been deadlocked since June.
Earlier this month, the Atomic Energy Agency said Iran would continue to increase its stockpile of enriched uranium. The organization also says that since February, monitoring has become more complicated as Iran has refused to allow IAEA inspectors on the ground. Western countries are due to decide at a meeting of the agency next week whether they will take tougher measures to curb their activities on the part of Iran. This move may hamper the continuation of negotiations.
Under an international agreement with Iran in 2015, Tehran agreed to limit nuclear activity in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.
President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of the agreement in 2018 and renewed economic sanctions on Tehran. Iran has responded to this move by violating the main restrictions of the agreement.