According to Orlando Morando, the measure goes into effect next Saturday, 27, indefinitely
The return of face-to-face classes in São Bernardo do Campo, at ABC Paulista, was postponed again. Initially, the forecast was that the return to school would happen on March 1st. However, with the advance of Covid-19 in the municipality and the high occupancy rates of hospitals, the City Hall determined a new postponement in public and private schools. In addition, the city must adopt curfew as of next Saturday, 27, a measure that also seeks to curb contamination by the coronavirus, explains the mayor of the city, Orlando Living (PSDB). “Between the public and private network of São Bernardo, among students, educators and outsourced employees, we would be moving around 200 thousand people. Only about 180 thousand students. If we need to maintain distance, considering that the variant [de Manaus] may already be in our municipality, this mobilization of the education network is one of the most intense. And that curfew is to have better control of night activities, which is where we have the greatest difficulty in monitoring. ”
Orlando Morando considers that São Bernardo do Campo is currently experiencing the “worst moment of the pandemic”. Currently, the bed occupancy rate in the city’s public network is 87%, while in the private network it reaches 91%, which puts, according to the mayor, the health system “very close to strangulation”. “It is the worst moment, not even at the first peak of the first wave, mid-July and August, did we arrive at the ICU occupation close to what we are experiencing in the last few days,” he said. The restriction on the movement of people will take effect next Saturday and will have an indefinite duration and will be imposed from 10 pm to 5 am, being allowed to operate only pharmacies and hospital services during the period. In the same way, the displacement of inhabitants should happen only in cases of emergency and industries with night shifts should adjust the hours of entry and exit of employees to respect the decree.
“They are measures to contain the advance of pandemic and guarantee hospital care for everyone who needs it in the municipality, ”reinforced Morando, citing that the restriction will also be effective in reducing contamination by the disease caused in small family gatherings. “The curfew measure is also a way to contain small and medium-sized parties between families where our committee has identified a very large transferability. People lost their fear, the grandson went back to the grandfather’s house, the children are visiting their parents more. They are events of 15 or 20 people that will also be contained not only on weekends, but throughout the week. It is a necessary restriction considering the occupation that reached the municipality of São Bernardo do Campo ”, he said. So far, the city has vaccinated, according to the mayor, 44,173 people against Covid-19. According to Morando, the municipality, which has almost 900,000 inhabitants, is waiting for new shipments of immunizers to expand vaccination. The expectation is that new doses of CoronaVac, produced by the Butantan Institute in partnership with the Chinese Sinovac, are received throughout the week.