Despite recent measures, the number of new infections and deaths from Covid-19 remains high in the state; new decree also institutes dry law
The government of Parana decided to extend until December 28 the decree establishing night curfew, a she seca it’s at ban on agglomerations with more than 10 adults. The measures are aimed at curbing contagion by the new coronavirus, which has killed more than 7,000 people in the state since March. The new decree, released on Thursday, 17, is valid for 10 days, starting on Saturday, 19, and can be extended until January 2021. The curfew has been in effect since December 2. From 11 pm to 5 am, only essential services are allowed. Two days later, a new decree increased restrictions, prohibiting the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages during the night.
Despite recent measures, the number of new contaminations and deaths by Covid-19 remained high in Paraná. That Wednesday, 16, the state broke a 24-hour death record by confirming 199 deaths from complications of the disease. Part of the cases are retroactive. The occupancy rate of SUS ICU beds exclusive to coronavirus has remained between 85% and 95% in the last 14 days. The Secretary of Health of Paraná, Beto Preto, argues that the night curfew, combined with dry law, faces two of the main problems: the transmission of the coronavirus and the overcrowding of public and private hospitals. “We had a 30% to 35% reduction in highly complex calls related to alcoholic beverages, such as traffic accidents, trauma, injuries by firearms or bladed weapons,” he said.
Christmas without crowds
With the extension of the restrictive measures until December 28, the government of Paraná expects to curb agglomerations at Natal. Family reunions should be held with a maximum of 10 adults. Children under 14 are not included in the bill because, according to the State Department of Health, studies indicate less potential for transmission of the coronavirus in this age group. Events in bars, restaurants and clubs are prohibited. Despite this, the current decree allows religious services, provided that the maximum capacity of 30% of the temples and a minimum distance of two meters between the faithful are respected.
“We ask that people avoid getting together and think about Christmas 2021, because the decisions of now will be fundamental so that we can plan for the future. Failing to meet this year, in many cases, means not having the transmission of the coronavirus in the family environment ”, said Secretary Beto Preto, adding that the restriction measures aim to preserve lives. About the parties New Year, the portfolio manager says the situation will be reassessed in the last week of the year. If the current measures are not enough to cool the contagion curve, the decree should be extended, imposing the same restrictions as the Christmas period on New Year’s Eve.
* With information from Estadão Content