Spokesman Gabriel Attal questions the effectiveness of the restriction and considers the proposal heavy for Parisians
The Municipality of Paris could determine a new three-week lockdown in the face of Covid-19’s advances in the capital of France. The proposal was met with skepticism by French spokesman Gabriel Attal, who although he said the measure would be studied, said he was in doubt about the effectiveness of the restriction. He considers the proposal extremely heavy for Parisians, and especially for traders in the region. Furthermore, in Attal’s assessment, it does not make sense to have a blockade only in Paris, considering the large movement of people around the city.
Unlike some neighboring countries, France has resisted a new national blockade to control the spread of the coronavirus and bet on an evening curfew, which has been in effect since December 15 last year. However, on Thursday, the 25th, French Prime Minister Jean Castex said that if infection rates in coronavirus are still rising, stricter measures will be implemented from March 6. According to him, regions with high transmission rates could be confined to weekends, as is already happening in Nice and Dunkirk.
Subsequently, the Parisian city council proposed a lockdown three weeks. In this way, it would be possible to reopen more quickly companies, bars, restaurants and cultural spaces, which have been closed since October. Parisian mayor Anne Hidalgo has been criticized by authorities for the proposal. She is accused of using the measure in an electoral manner, for a possible presidential candidacy next year. According to the French government, the new strain of the coronavirus found in the United Kingdom is responsible for almost half of the infections in the country.
* With information from reporter Nicole Fusco