The head of the organizing committee of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics did not rule out this tuesday the cancellation of the Olympic Games if Covid-19 numbers increase, as more athletes tested positive for the virus and sponsors abandoned plans to attend the opening ceremony on Friday.
Asked at a press conference whether the Games could still be canceled amid the surge in Covid-19 cases, Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on the number of coronavirus infections and hold discussions with organizers if necessary.
“We will continue the discussions if there is an increase in cases,” said Muto.
A Tokyo 2020 spokesperson later said that organizers are “100% focused on running the Games successfully”.
Rising Covid-19 cases in Tokyo have cast a huge shadow over the event, which, delayed last year because of the pandemic, will now take place without spectators. Japan decided this month that participants will compete in empty spaces to minimize health risks.
There have been 67 cases of Covid-19 infections in Japan among those accredited for the Games since July 1, when many athletes and officials began arriving, organizers said on Tuesday.
Japan, whose vaccination campaign fell short of the program of most other developed nations, registered more than 840,000 cases and 15,055 deaths, and the Games host city, Tokyo, has been facing a further increase, with 1,387 cases registered on Tuesday. fair.